The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

Change of Perspective on English

January25

From the very beginning, I always thought of English as a class that I had to endure for the rest of my school life, and that I’ll never enjoy English. In previous schools, I never found a way to connect to anything I was learning in English. In other subjects, I actually enjoyed what I was learning, I enjoyed learning about science, math and social, however annotating poems, writing essays, and reading novel studies were a complete bore to me. Ever since I’ve entered FFCA my perspective on English has significantly changed, and I’ve developed a new love for English.

As a learner, I always found it difficult to excel in learning skills such as annotating poems, and taking a literary work and taking it apart to come to the general message(theme). My challenges as a learner is that I find it very hard to find the deeper meaning in a literary piece. Often times, I find it difficult to connect to a poem because I don’t recognize the underlying message, and I make it fairly hard for myself. Throughout this semester in English, as a learner, I learned that I’m actually fairly good in English, and I’ve always thought that I was bad at it. An “aha” that I learned from this class is that literary pieces may appear to be very boring, but it’s the underlying message and value that you need to search for when you read something. I related to many of the pieces we worked with this semester, and my understanding broadened, and now it’s easier for me to read literary works because I know how to annotate and come to a general theme(message).

As a reader, my reading identity prior to Mrs. Hunnisett’s class was very minimal, and it’s because I lack motivation to continue reading a book. I can start a bunch of books, but I won’t even get halfway through any of them because I lose interest in continuing them. Going into Mrs. Hunnisett’s class I wouldn’t have thought that my reading identity would change, but Mrs. Hunnisett made me understand the importance of reading to succeed in English. My reading identity is improving as the months go by, and it may not be at the level it needs to be at, however as each semester goes by I want to set goals for how many books I read each semester. In the future as a reader, I want to challenge myself to read books of different genre’s, and more of the difficult reads. I want to be reading books that challenge my reading skills, but also improve my vocabulary, which will help me in my writing skills.

I came to FFCA in grade 7, and before that I had never written an essay or had done any sort of writing assignments. In grade 7, I did some personal pieces, but again, nothing big like an essay or short story. Grade 8 comes around and I’m expected to know how to write a critical essay, and I have absolutely no clue how the format of an essay looks like, and the order the information goes in. Grade 8 frustrated me a great amount because most of the kids in my class had written essays in previous grades, and I felt so lost.

Grade 9 comes and I developd a whole new appreciation for writing and English. My grade 9 teacher took the time to sit down, and teach me how to write a proper essay, and how to have proper sentence structure. Going into 10-1, I didn’t know what to expect, but through the semester I improved a lot in writing.

My growth from my writing in grade 8 to writing in grade 10 is a significant change. Throughout the years, I’ve come to the realization that I admire personal writing. I love writing personal, and I love reading personal pieces. You see a whole new side of that person that you didn’t see before, and maybe you can even connect with them because of that experience. Writing personal pieces can be hard because you’re showing vulnerability to an extent, and I guess that’s why I admire personal writing so much because you see that rawness in another person and I appreciate when someone shows vulnerability or rawness.

My year so far is going really well, and I’ve been enjoying it a lot. I got some pretty amazing teachers and I learned a lot about what my strengths and weaknesses are. This year, I developed a new love for English and it’s all because Mrs. Hunnisett made me see a new depth to English. I always thought of English as a class that I’d always hate because nothing about it interested me, and I got no joy when looking at poems or reading novels. However, this year in English I started to love looking at poems and finding their message, and just relating to all the literary pieces. I’m not quite sure what changed my whole mood about English, but I believe that it is the way Mrs. Hunnisett has this welcoming vibe and she cares a lot about her students.

The first day when I walked into her classroom, I got the welcoming vibe instantaneously, and I knew this classroom would be a place of happiness, love and care. I grew closer to people who I thought I wouldn’t even have a relationship with, and I’ve created many new friendships because of this class. Many of my greatest accomplishments, and most happiest moments have been in Mrs. Hunnisett’s class, and I wish so much that I could have her for the rest of High School. This past semester has been a great ride, and I’m sad to see it end, however all the memories created in Mrs. Hunnisett’s room will forever be in my heart.

PhotoGrid_1422217099094

by posted under Daania | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

January 2015
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Categories

Skip to toolbar