The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

Mirrors and Windows

January25

Mirrors and Windows

By Mah Noor

The Present

Sydney J. Harris once said, “The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.”

Through the course of this year’s English Language Arts class, I have dug deep within my capabilities, pondering upon my true potential. From Mrs. Hunnisett’s remarkable characteristics and excellence in teaching I have learnt to turn mirrors, which only allow me to focus on my appearance rather than granting me the talent to seek forward and step out of where I believe my certainty ends; into windows that assist me in visioning the future that beholds me in front of my eyes, shaping it the way I want to perceive it as, but first I must learn, read and write in order to make that future a better painting to live in.

I truly believe in the importance of hard work when it comes to school, but I equally believe that a content and happy education environment is also needed, and I always experience such comfort and satisfaction with Mrs. Hunnisett’s presence within the classroom. Furthermore, this has eminently allowed me to most significantly achieve my Language Art goals that I have wanted to accomplish since grade 5; these goals consist of:

• Earning at least a satisfactory when writing short stories and thesis statements
  • Experiencing that ‘happiness and emotional connection’ with books when I read them.

As a Writer

blue-writing_00253592

Though this year’s English 10 course, I would like to point out that I am most certain of one very important skill that I have mastered: writing a thesis. I have experienced a continuous struggle with writing essays because I could not write thesis statements. Most amazingly, Mrs. Hunnisett taught me so well on how to write thesis statements that you can give me any prompt and I will generate a thesis. That is the excellence I also hope to achieve through my essays as a whole, free from any errors or silly mistakes, which, as a result, can flow more stylistically.

I have always been negligent of the talents that I have within, that could be unleashed with a little hard work. I carried a naive mentality towards Language Arts, telling myself that I was not capable of escaping the dreadful “60%” on my short stories, so I prevented myself from wasting energy on something that I could not do. But, this year has proven  a drastic improvement for me when writing short stories, for example, when I wrote a fictional account on the dreadful Peshawar occurring that happened, I earned myself a 100%.

When it comes to writing I have learnt a very substantial tip: it is the passion and inner connection with your piece that forces your ambition to take a pen and start writing, without the marks that force you to try.

Hard work truly does pay off, like the saying ‘the fruit of patience is always sweet’. The evidence that portrays my hard work and improvement in writing would be The Truman Show essay I wrote at the beginning of the year, and when I look back on it, I laugh at the grammar, run-on and structural mistakes, that I now rarely commit because of the effort, hard work and diligence I put into polishing my writing.

In addition to the future of my writing success, I hope to completely get rid of GUMPS, style, and grammatical mistakes throughout my essays, blogs, short stories and personal responses. Most excitingly I hope to write more fictional accounts on worldly problems that the fellow world and I are impacted by.

As a Reader

eiffel-tower-book-lights-photo-mood-hd-wallpaper-background-uhd-2k-4k-5k-2015-2016-tablet-phone-mobile-pc-computer-Other-Hosting

“Let us pick up our books and our pens, they are the most powerful weapons,” – Malala Yousafzai.

During the past, picking up a book, and even lasting a chapter without getting bored was difficult. Today when I look back upon the dull reading identity that once haunted me, I am not surprised at the contrast that lay between me as a reader before and now, but I am surprised to the fact that the books I used to dread reading are the books I now take time out of my day to read, in order to acquire happiness.

I have experienced a huge reading identity shift, which is evident from my current reading ladder results, proving that I read at least 170 pages a week. Before I read a book every 4 months. As a result of this year and my new reading habits, I have learnt that when one has the intention of reading a book; the plot of the book itself grabs ones’ senses and intrigues them into every single word, well at least for me, that’s the case.

In addition to the list of my future reading goals, I hope to read at least 300 pages a week and continue with my routine of reading one book a month, possibly two if I have enough time. I have experienced a significant change in the course of this year in ELA, while being forced to read a book a month, but when I first read I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai I became more curious about the books that magically lay on Mrs. Hunnisett’s shelves. While reading through this course and formulating within me a strong reading personality, I have read a total of 14 books in 7 months, many books from the past that I read again in order to gain memory, and all of which I will never forget.

Education is among the greatest blessings of life, a pleasure that every student in the world should be grateful for. Amazing teachers are among the greatest gifts of life; a rare learning opportunity every student in the world should be eager to learn from. Education has proven to be a successful aspect of my life, but there are very few moments in my life that I was able to absorb as much knowledge as possibly could from my teachers. One of those very few occasions was this year in English Language Arts Class with Mrs. Hunnisett. The most absolute piece of advice I have learnt from her is “The more you read the better you write”, but the way she provides herself as an admirable role model for the class, who can read a 100 books in an year, allows for students to go to her in search of a learning opportunity or any day when Language Arts seems to be the hardest struggle in high school.

To establish myself as a strong reader, Mrs. Hunnisett only had to say “The more you read, the better you’ll write” and I was making my way towards the destiny of a better future, reading books and writing blogs. It seemed painful at first, but the books seemed to become an addiction and the blogs seemed to be a way of portraying my true potential, while heating the computer with my inner emotions, outer struggles and the exemption of every talent that existed within.

As a Learner

Towards the future, while enhancing my learning potential I hope to see myself achieve a 90% or above in ELA, but also maintain the stigma to read regularly. I am also working forward to building the boldness of being able to participate more often in Socratic seminars and class discussions, since sharing the ideas you carry, is also a form of learning.

I see myself as a determined learner who is willing to try their fullest effort to achieve anything they intend or desire.

As a Grade 10 Student

image1

I didn’t hear quite pleasant comments about Grade 10 to tell the truth, but I didn’t let that discourage and prevent me from entering Grade 10 with an intention of doing well.

Thus far, I am enjoying High School, the friends, the electives, but above all High School has taught me that ones’ potential is worth more than keeping it in, rather it deserves being exposed to create courage, self-esteem and belief in ones’ self.

Lastly, if I could design my own Grade 11 and 12 classrooms, I would make them colourful and open, where windows allow the students to enjoy the natural sunlight and altering seasons, which is exceedingly essential in an ELA classroom where evolving thoughts and hectic imaginations are brought to life.

The Future

I sincerely hope to grow as a learner, reader and writer through the years that follow, but above all I yearn the desire of having Mrs. Hunnisett as a teacher again. I have profoundly learned this year from writing essays to performing plays; subsequently boosting my inner esteem and allowing me to paint that picture that lay beyond the window. Obviously, that painting will become more vibrant and prosperous for the years to come, but for that I must read more, to write, and write more to escape my inner emotions so I can paint that picture in a poetic manner.

References:

• https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/846715-let-us-pick-up-our-books-and-our-pens-they
  • http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/reading.html
  • http://wallpaperhosting.co/eiffel-tower-book-lights-photo-mood-hd-wallpaper-background-uhd-2k-4k-5k-2015-2016-tablet-phone-mobile-pc-computer-other-hosting/
  • http://wallpaper-kid.com/writing-wallpaper.htm

by posted under Mah Noor | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“Mirrors and Windows”

1. January 25th, 2015 at 8:16 pm      Reply Ms. Hunni Says:

Dearest Mah Noor,
    You have truly grown so much in all capacities as a reader and a writer – incredible growth. Thank you for being such an open soul who daily worked so hard as an inspirational learner. You are wise and courageous, well beyond your years. Thank you for all you have done for me, for the class, and for yourself – BRAVO! A brilliant semester!
    Hugs always, Hunni

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

January 2015
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Categories

Skip to toolbar