The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

Nostalgia for Childhood?

January13

the kite runner

Dear Evilin,

Although you may claim that the book looks too boring to read, I will respond to your statement ahead of time with the oh-so-popular saying, “Do not judge a book by its cover”. The fascinating lines about the beauty and tensions of friendship and love will have you crawling under the covers at night with a flashlight. This captivating novel, The Kite Runner, gave me a greater awareness about the importance of love, friendship, and forgiveness.

The Kite Runner, although it sounds peculiar, is a beautiful story about friendship, courage, family, taunting of the past, and the search for redemption. Wonderfully written and well presented, this tale situates itself in the core of the lives of innocent children. With the story located in Afghanistan, Amir and Hassan explore their unlikely and odd friendship. Amir, the main protagonist, is the son of a wealthy Kabul merchant. Hassan, however, is the son of Amir’s father’s servant, and also a member of the despised minority group, the Hazaras. Their uncommon friendship is torn apart with Amir’s choice to abandon his loyal friend Hassan during rising tensions in the country.

I know you have a crazed nostalgia for your childhood. Although you still are a child, I understand your longing for the innocence and ignorance of the troubles of this world. And that is exactly what this book gives you, temporarily:

“When we were children, Hassan and I used to climb the poplar trees in the driveway of my father’s house and annoy our neighbors by reflecting sunlight into their homes with a shard of mirror. We would sit across from each other on a pair of high branches, our naked feet dangling, our trouser pockets filled with dried mulberries and walnuts. We took turns with the mirror as we ate mulberries, pelted each other with them, giggling, laughing.”

I chose that excerpt from the novel because of its portrayal of the ideal childhood which we sometimes dream of remaining in. As you know, I have always loved children and I believe that it is their – respectfully – carelessness which has captivated me so much. As we grow older, we experience more, understand more, and generally see things for what they are. The same goes for the character Amir; as he grows older, his past betrayal of his dear friend continues to haunt him to the point where he eventually finds himself searching for him.

Author Khaled Hosseini truly goes into the depth of friendship, childhood, and forgiveness. Although Hassan is an uncommonly wise and forgiving child, his relationship with Amir reminds readers of his true age. Although Amir is a year older, his childishness so deeply contrasts with the maturity and wisdom of Hassan. However, Amir also grows into a wise, understanding, and courageous man through his process of revitalization.

Nonetheless, the book is not merely about friendship and love. It tends to get darker towards the end, as Amir re-encounters his past. His journey of confusion, conflicts, fear, and pain lead him to his ultimate opportunity of ‘being good again’. Thus, the story is definitely quite unique, but concurrently, fascinating and mesmerizing in its own way.

I know you will love this book; not only because it revolves around the childhood of two friends, but also because it explores the idea of forgiveness and the significance of family. All in all, I hope you take my word for it and take the chance to read this book some time soon. Hopefully it will satisfy your craving for the wonder of childhood.

Love, your beloved sister,

Carolin

https://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/index.cfm/book_number/1232/page_number/1/the-kite-runner#excerpt

by posted under Carolin, Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“Nostalgia for Childhood?”

1. January 18th, 2015 at 11:07 am      Reply Suchismita Says:

Dear Carolin,

I have read your book recommendation blog, and I must say that it is absolutely phenomenal. I understand that this blog was mainly to convince your sister to read, but honestly, it feels like you have very much convinced me to read this book as well. What I liked about your blog the most, was the fact that it was so descriptive and well written that it would always make anyone want to read “The Kite Runner.”

Also, I really liked that you actually took an except from the book and tried to connect as well as explain its true meaning, using your and your sister’s life. I think that often times, this can prove to be very beneficial and convincing, when comes to recommending others about a particular book. You are an exceptional writer and I feel that it is quite hard for most people to find faults in it. However, one thing that I would like to mention to you is that you should be careful of your tenses, when you are writing. As an example, this sentence: “His journey of confusion, conflicts, fear, and pain lead him to his ultimate opportunity of ‘being good again’.” In the sentence before, I feel that it is important for you to change the word “lead” to “leads”. The reason for this is that in all the other sentences surrounding this one, they are written in present tense, but you have changed this sentence to past tense. I hope you will take my suggestions into your kind consideration and change it when you have the opportunity to do so.

Reading your blog has truly inspired me to read this novel, and I will definitely do so whenever I have a chance. In total, your blog is extremely well written and I hope that you continue to write blogs like this, as you are a very convincing writer.

Regards,
    Suchismita.

2. January 31st, 2015 at 12:01 pm      Reply carolinck Says:

Dear Suchismita,
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I appreciate your kind feedback.

I will definitely take your comment into consideration and make sure that I am aware of past tense and present tense language.

Again, it’s awesome to hear that I have convinced you to read this book as well, it is an amazing story.

Sincerely,
    Carolin

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

January 2015
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Categories

Skip to toolbar