The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

David Suzuki Response

March4

I, myself have never fancied nature as a whole, but yet have never loathed it. Nature, to me, is very common because I have lived around it for numerous years. David Suzuki’s essay, as an overall view, is about how adults and children view nature. I find myself to relate in one way or another to his idea to act on separate views of Nature.

I prefer to live in the city where there are homes, buildings, streets, and cars. I find myself felling more safe at home. Whereas when I am out camping I feel somewhat uneasy and a little out of order. This does not mean that I despise nature. I do enjoy nature; I just prefer to be in the city. Another large impact on this is how I was raised. I have always lived in the city and I have adapted to specific ways of those of us who do the same. More than 50% of our world lives in urban settings and it is becoming more and more common with the increase of population.

As a young child, I would play in the dirt, catch different types of bugs and put them in a jar. As I got older the things I did slightly shifted. I would Begin to admire pretty flowers and make princess crowns form dandelions.  I began to show less interest in the area of nature. Soon I began to play with toys rather then outside in the dirt. Many kids today are not outside all the time. Infect a margoity of them spend their days indoors, wasting away time watching idiot boxes and hand held gaming systems. I understand what Suzuki is trying to address when he says “Nature is an enemy. Its dirty, dangerous and a nuisance. So youngsters try to distance themselves from nature and try to control it”. I think one of the best ways we do that is by keeping children occupied with more materialistic things.

I also find that parents and their children have very different views on nature. Children seem to find themselves out doors substantially more often because of their wide imagination and their growing craving of curiosity.  Parents on the other hand don’t have time for such things. They see it to be a waste of time. They find it to be more interesting to have their hands glued to a keyboard and they eyes to a screen. They work all day long inside an office and they come home and they are on blackberries, I phones, and laptops for hours on end. When they “grow up” they put away their interest for nature and focus on more important things. Because they view nature as a nuisance, they teach their kids the same but not intentially. Suzuki says “children and adults alike usually respond by saying “yuk””. This is not intentional; it is just a common reaction many people have which is understandable.

I personally believe that we as a society need to recognize nature for its unique and interesting ways. We all need to remember what it was like when we had our first encounters with a butterfly or a flower> If we continue to treat earth with disrespect then we will not gain anything what so ever. We all seem to forget what nature is. It is the ways of life. Nature is what gives us life. It is the reason for our existence and our breath. I know I need to start to recognize nature and view it as a gift rather than a nuisance.  Reading David Suzuki’s Essay is my first step. What will yours be?

by posted under Claudia | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“David Suzuki Response”

1. March 4th, 2012 at 4:21 pm      Reply Zach Says:

Awesome job Claudia! Your detail and perspective of the topic is fascinating, I think you really understand the concept and can relate to it well. Keep up the great work! 🙂

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

March 2012
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Categories

Skip to toolbar