The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

May24

I didn’t really know what to write about so I thought I would write about one of my favourite books. The book I am going to talk about is The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. This book is about Eddie, an 82 year old, that works at an amusement park. On his 83rd, he dies in a tragic accident trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in the afterlife and finds out that heaven is not how everyone sees it instead it is a place where five people explain life to you. The people he meets are people that he loves or complete strangers, but they have all changed is path in one way or another. The five people help Eddie see the unseen connections of his life. Eddies desperately seeks redemption in the last act of his life.

I really like this book because it talks about how people interpret heaven to be this peaceful place where nothing happens, but I this book it is interpreted differently. Mitch Albom shows heaven as a place where you find the main meaning/focus of your life. The five people you meet in haven have all changed your path, and I like how some of the people that have changed are complete strangers. The first time I read this book I instantly feel in love with the book and also Mitch Albom`s work. The way he tells the stories is just amazing and I feel no matter what you can connect to the book in one way or another. Even though heaven may not be like this it still makes you think about the five people that have affected to you in your life. Also through the five people, you start learning more and more about Eddie and I think its better then telling the readers who you are and what has happened to you. I like how Mitch Albom spreads out his life experiences throughout the whole book; I feel that it makes the book more powerful.

The first person that Eddie meets is a man that has blue skin. Eddie at first has no idea what is going on and starts to freak out, but then the man starts to tell him about his life and how Eddie affected his life at first Eddie has no idea how he ever affected his life. Then the blue man starts talking about how he use to work with is dad, but then he accidently soiled his pants and his dad totally cut him off. Then he joined the circus and the circus came to Ruby Pier where Eddie was playing with a ball that he got for is birthday. Eddie accidently threw the ball into a street where the blue man was driving. Eddie got away without scratch, but the blue man was not as lucky he ended dying from a heart attack. Eddie soon realizes that he was the one that killed the blue man.

The second person that Eddie meets is his Captain that he went to war with. Eddie, the Captain, and a few other soldiers were kidnapped for a few months and starved, but after a while, they ended up getting out and as they were leaving, they set the place where they had stayed on fire. Eddie and his fellow soldiers stared at it while it burned, but out of nowhere Eddie saw something move and went to see what it was he thought it was someone so when Captain told him to get out Eddie did not listen. The Captain did not want Eddie to die so he saved his life by shooting Eddie in the leg. When Eddie finds out, he is furious because of his leg he could not do anything he even forgot how to run. Then the Captain shows Eddie a scene that changed Eddie’s whole mood. Everyone loaded Eddie into a truck and started to go back so the helicopter could take Eddie, but they reach a part where they could not go around so the Captain grabbed a rifle and went to open the gate so he could get the truck through without anything. What the Captain did not know was that there was a land mine underneath him when he took a step the land min went off. Eddie could not believe what had just happened. The Captain had risked his life for Eddie and Eddie was yelling at him for shooting him in the leg.

The third person the Eddie meets is Ruby Pier, her husband Emile built a amusement park and named it after her. She told Eddie how Emile had gotten really sick and how he ended up in the hospital, but the main reason she was talking to Eddie was because she wanted to tell him how his father died. Eddies dad saw he friend Mickey trying to hurt Eddie’s mom so he tried to beat him up and they ended up running all the way to the sea where Mickey threw himself into the sea. Eddies father saw this and help him back because he knew that he was drunk so he helped him up onto shore. He got sick and was taken to the hospital, Ruby was there too she was in the other room and she heard as Eddies mother talked and cried. What Eddie does not know is that his father died by the window, he tried calling to his wife, Eddie and Joe. He wanted to see them before he left. Eddie never knew how much his father cared about him because he was always mean to him and treated him poorly.

The fourth person he meets is his wife Marguerite who died at the age of 47. She tells Eddie that even though she was up in heaven she was always watching Eddie and that she cared about him. She is one of the five people that Eddie was not surprised to see. She died because she had a tumour in her head and that is when Eddie thought that his life was over. She also affected his life because she was the one person that Eddie was in love with. The fifth, the last person that Eddie saw was, Tala at the first look I thought it was going to be the girl that Eddie tried to save from the accident, but as I kept reading I figured out that she was the one Eddie tried to save when he was a solider. She was the figure that Eddie saw as the house burned to pieces, he knew someone was in there but no one else believed him. When I read that part, my heart fell, I actually thought that on one was in there, and that maybe Eddie just missed his wife and was seeing things. Then Eddie asks the question that has been killing him inside. Is the girl still alive that I tried to save from the accident? Tala lets him know that she is, but Eddie does not believe her.  “But I felt her hands, it’s the only thing I remember”, Eddie said after Tala had told him about the accident. “Not her hands, my hands. I bring you to heaven. Keep you safe”, Tala said. Then the book ended.

I felt myself smiling when I finished the book knowing that Eddie saved the girl and meet five people that had changed his life forever. I think the point of the book was to show that heaven is where your life really ends its where you figure out the real meaning of life and its where all your questions have answers. I think it is a great book to read and I recommend reading it.

by posted under Simrat | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“The Five People You Meet in Heaven”

1. June 1st, 2012 at 6:35 pm      Reply garrens Says:

Simrat, this is an excellent summary of the experiences a fictional character faces in the afterlife in “The Five People You Meet in Heaven.” I was fascinated by Eddie’s human and spiritual experiences, especially with how his past partially returned to haunt him – only, of course, the protagonist is deceased. Furthermore, I like how you indicated factors of Eddie’s past that led to him meeting the five angels.
    My only two suggestions for improvement are to double-check for any errors, as they were many grammatical ones: also, eliminate that first supporting paragraph, and instead create a new one for Tala separate from Marguerite. Otherwise, good job, and I cannot wait to read this soon!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

May 2012
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Categories

Skip to toolbar