The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

Personal Reading Letter Recommendation

October28

Dear Joan,

1984 is a novel, written by George Orwell, which has a captivating story that I feel that you could connect to very well because of the main character Winston. Winston struggles against oppression by the ruler of Oceania, Big Brother, and his “party.” I believe that this will connect to you in your personal life and how you feel as though you are being oppressed by your parents. I know how much you love to feel free; not held down by the rule of your parents.  This knowledge of how you are made me think of how this book might captivate you and connect to you. For example, I know how you love to feel free and I also know that you can be really stubborn in opposing your parents when you feel as though they have taken away any amount of your freedom. Winston and you are very much alike in this way by how you both strive to have freedom and will do anything to gain the freedom you desire. The struggle of Winston can also give you a realization that you are not so alone during the ongoing process of being oppressed.

In the book Winston is never alone even when he thinks he is. This is because he falls in love with a girl named Julia. In a similar way to how Winston had Julia, there will always be someone in your life that is there for you and loves you no matter how oppressed you may feel. Even if the person/people that support you aren’t with you physically they are with you in your mind and in spirit. This is shown in the book when Julia was taken from Winston because he still had her in his mind making him forget the pain the oppressors had caused him even if the escape from this pain was only brief.  This shows that people don’t need to be with you in person to support you in dealing with oppression or protecting you from it.

Furthermore, I know how much of an avid reader you are and I think that with all the reading you do you could take it up a level, away from Twilight and those kinds of books into something that will give you a real challenge. Reading something more challenging will show off how extraordinary you are as a reader. In addition, reading a more challenging book will also make you a better writer. Even though you are an extraordinary writer already you can always gain something from the experience of reading a new level of literature.

In short, I feel as though 1984 is really a book that would help you through your personal struggles and help you grow as a person to achieve breaking free through the oppression in your life. Along with that, reading a book like this could help you to break free of your current boundaries and grow into an even more amazing and extraordinary person.

Sincerely,

Jayden

by posted under Jayden, Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“Personal Reading Letter Recommendation”

1. November 4th, 2012 at 10:52 am      Reply liampk Says:

Hi Jayden,
    Your blog on the book “1984” by George Orwell was very interesting and I like how you used examples from the book to capture the emotional feelings and struggles of the person who you are sending the letter to.

I would suggest that you first paragraph is “bit repetitious” and needs to be streamlined. The other constructive feedback I have for you to trim down you “run on” sentences.
    All in all a good job!!
    Liam

2. November 4th, 2012 at 8:46 pm      Reply KR57 Says:

Dear Jayden,

Right away your opening introduction paragraph grabs my attention and hooks me into whatever you have to say. In your piece you really made great personal connections between the novel and the person you were recommending it for. For example, in your second paragraph you wrote:

“…there will always be someone in your life that is there for you and loves you no matter how oppressed you may feel.”

I thought this was an amazing and showed your keen eye of putting two and two together and showing a great example to Joan.

The only problem I can see in your piece is the editing portion, To me it seems you have overlooked that aspect of your piece and may have rushed it a little. To show you this, in your very first sentence you seem to have italicized the beginning portion of it, and italicizing, “…written by George Orwell, which has a captivating story…” made little sense to me; there is something for you to work on.

In the grand scheme of things this piece was a delight to read and I hope you continue to make such high quality letters.

Sincerely, Karan

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

October 2012
S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  

Categories

Skip to toolbar