The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

Prejudice Quote

January21

Hate people on an individual basis only – you must actually get to know someone at least slightly before you can properly hate him or her.”

–     Jill Connor Browne

Personally I think this quote easily explains the human nature. I like how to author realizes that humans will hate on others; it is inventible just as the sun has to rise.  It is refreshing to see an author that doesn’t make it seems as if hatred is a emotion that is only evoked when prejudice is involved. This is exemplified in  To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, when Tom Robinson is hated by the entire town without any solid reasons like how when the circle of women were gathered at Scout’s home. As they were discussing the Tom Robinson case, the women just continued to discuss the fact that Tom had raped Mayella without any proof. As it is shown in the book almost no one truly knows whom he or she hates except for the Finchs’ home. In which Scout hates Francis because he has insulted Atticus’s profession and take upon the Tom Robinson case. When Scout explains to her uncle why she does it I believe it truly reflects this quote. Rather than exclaiming that she was right without having a solid evidence, she explains her reasons for her action. Another reason this quote resonates with me is because of personal experience with prejudice and hatred. While from prejudice doesn’t come in the form of skin colour I do face it such as when I wear clothes that do not meet the society’s standards. As for the hatred, it is a phenomenal that sweeps every high school in this country. The preconceived ideas of people based on clothes, hair, and even the amount of money they may have.  Although words like “I totally hate her..” or “he completely hates me..” float around hallways I try my best to avoid them. I have a personal belief that I can’t hate anyone although I do have moments of weakness where my distaste for a person grows greatly but I try my best not to “hate” him or her. The reason I believe this is almost exactly what is written in the quote. It boggles my mind why some people take the time to get to know someone for the solo purpose to find something about them to hate. It actually terrifies me sometimes, how much extra time do people have on the heads to hate people?  Once I told my friend that I don’t actually hate someone and they were so surprised, it astonished me.

by posted under Navleen, Uncategorized | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

January 2013
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Categories

Skip to toolbar