The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

A Broken Book

January4

Do not judge a book by its cover…that phrase is said often, explained thoroughly but rarely practiced. As inexperienced children we repeat what is told to us but never do we comprehend the full meaning; this comes with maturity, experience, understanding and choosing to see the world from multiple perspectives. As humans, we are naturally biased but once you can take away that factor you have the ability to see the cruelty and the beauty of our society.

We are hypocritical, that was a new realization for me that I had the privilege of witnessing firsthand. Having these phrases, “do not judge a book by its cover” engraved in our minds yet, how is it still possible for our bodies to override these wise sayings. I say sayings because we have proven that they carry no meaning or value to humankind.

Judgement is an everyday practice that we say we do not take pride in, but how could that be true when all of the proof leads to the latter. Here is another saying we listen to, “everyone has a story”. So bluntly true yet, we do not stop in the middle of a hurtful comment to repeat to ourselves that the god honest truth is, everyone has a story.

The scale said he was overweight, borderline obese. His family did not see the reason for this but instead they criticized him and teased him to a point where he reached, a term we use as avoidance. He refused to participate in family activities, in public events, rarely ever looked up from his video games and he never got the honour of being shown true love from his parents. He was frowned upon, laughed at, not appreciated or acknowledged because he was never given the effort to try and be understood. As an unbiased bystander I understood. I could relate, but if you cannot relate to someone, to reach understanding requires time and work. I saw this boy, sitting in the corner on his third helping of dinner, as someone who suffered from pain. He was the book, judged by his cover, and I was the only one who saw his tears that were wiped away before they could reach his cheeks.

book

by posted under Cayleigh | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“A Broken Book”

1. January 15th, 2015 at 1:12 pm      Reply Roshni Says:

Dear Cayleigh,
    Beautifully written blog! I think it’s great that you chose to write about a concept that’s relatable to everyone in some capacity. The common problem of judging others based on their appearances is one seen in many different settings; for example, schools, work places, and at home where you are supposed to feel safe and loved. As you mentioned, it seems that people forget that we all have stories that have gone untold time and time again, and hopefully when people read this blog they remember that that is the case.

One slight thing that you could work on is coherently connecting ideas – the last paragraph, as great as it was, seemed to be disjoined from the rest of the works. Other than that, you did great!

-Roshni

2. January 15th, 2015 at 1:15 pm      Reply paulasosu Says:

Dear Cayleigh,

Dang Girl! I loveee your writing style. I really admire how you managed to give your opinion on human nature and how we act, whole at the same time seemingly telling a story. I agree with your point of view and you couldn’t have said it better. I feel it’s important that we remind ourselves of just how hypocritical we tend to be and the effect it has on others.

To improve your post I’d simply suggest checking where you put some commas.

Sincerely, Paula

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

January 2015
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Categories

Skip to toolbar