The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

Sidra’s Reading Ladder

January17
  1. Looking for Alaska by John Green (221 Pages)
  2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner (372 Pages)
  3. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs(352 Pages)
  4. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (400 Pages)
  5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (374 Pages)
  6. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (415 Pages)
  7. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith(619 Pages)
  8. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard (292 Pages)
  9. Flawless by Sara Shepard (338 Pages)
  10. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks(240 Pages)
  11. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (376 pages)
  12. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (221 Pages)

Total Pgs. 4220

Pgs. per week: 263

Pgs. per day: 37

Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice

Future Books to Read:

1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  2. And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
  3. The Lord of the Rings Series by J.R.R. Tolkien
  4. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  5. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  6. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and Jeffrey Zaslow

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was recommended to me by one of my friends who had to read it for school. At first I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read it or not because the introduction of the book was slow and not at all entertaining but as I got deeper into the book, I began to understand the true beauty behind the entire novel. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was the book I enjoyed most during the first semester in school because it was the kind of book that you had a difficult time putting down when you would start reading it. This was the book that I spent the most time on because I wanted the story to last a long time so that I could keep reading it. I wanted to enjoy every single detail in the book and I did not want it to finish. I enjoyed this book a lot because it truly summarized both the ideas of human nature and hope. Francie Nolan and her family allow readers to have an insight as to what being grateful and patient truly means. This intelligent and strong willed family retold the story of their lives in Brooklyn and the challenges they faced against poverty while cleverly showing their growth throughout the years. The perseverance shown by this young girl sends inspiring messages to females everywhere to never give up on something they truly love even if people around them try to take them down for it.

My second favorite book of the semester was A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. The style of this book evokes human emotions in everyone who simply touches it. Again, it is a story of hope but is set through the genres of tragedy and romance. At every turn of the page the emotions and thoughts felt by the main character, Landon Carter, and his love, Jamie Sullivan, draws readers more and more into the romance of these two teenagers. Both females and males are lost in thought after reading this book, wishing that they might have the chance to find love like this. Of course, being the teenage girl I am, this unspoken rule made sure to not miss me. As the last chapter rolled around, I was a mess. I had abandoned all my studying and worries and was engorged in this fantastic novel and as I felt the tears filling up in my eyes when I turned the last page, I couldn’t help but wish that the story would continue but, unfortunately, all good things must come to an end eventually.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is a novel by Khaled Hosseini and explores the idea of hope. I had heard such amazing things about this book for such a long time and it had been on my reading list for a while before I decided to touch it. The minute I started reading it, I automatically regretted not deciding to start it earlier. This book kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time as my heart raced and my brain struggled to figure out what might happen next. A new plot twist every chapter kept me reading until I had finished the entire novel in one sitting because I desperately needed to know what would happen next. The feminine empowerment expressed throughout the book was brilliantly shown and definitely inspired women around the world to demand better treatment from the males in their lives.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn                          A_Walk_to_Remember          A_Thousand_Splendid_Suns

by posted under Sidra | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

January 2015
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Categories

Skip to toolbar