The Hunni Blog ELA 10

Community Communication Trust Respect Courtesy Integrity Scholarship Self-Discipline

One Day I Finally Knew…

October6

The fierce sun shone brightly through the crystal clear blue sky, scaring away any clouds coming its way. The scorching sun rays seeped in through the classroom window, colliding with my skin, forming little sweat buds on the outer surface. The air in our classroom was thick and moist, making it extremely punishing to take a breath; despite the open window, through which not even a breeze of air flowed inside.  I watched Mr. Mactol steadily raise arm to scribble a few notes on the chalk board, as he revealed an unappealing horrific sweat stain at the inner part of his armpit. I expeditiously turned my head to face the window, and clear my mind of the disgusting scene I had just witnessed. No one else had seen it because half the people were asleep, and the other half were most likely day-dreaming.

Suddenly, the old cracked wooden door in the front of the room creaked open and a petite boy stepped in, with his scrawny arms burdened by the tower of books. His ocean blue eyes desperately searched for an empty desk, and he clumsily sat in the front desk where the piece of gum glued under the desk dripped slimy saliva on his knee. Mr. Mactol casually introduced this new student named “Fred,” and gave a lecture on how he should feel welcomed, which clearly embarrassed Fred even more as you could tell from the astonishing rosy color of his cheeks. Finally, the deafening screech of the school bell dismissed all the students, and everyone scurried outside like a  busy swarm of ants to catch their bus.

As I reached my bus, I quickly sat in the back, and put my headphones on, blurring all the yells and gossip around me. The squeal of the wheels signaled that the bus had started to move forward, when all of the sudden a freckled-face blonde boy with a load of books hurried toward my bus. My bus driver slammed on the brakes and swung open the two doors of the bus with great force, “What in the world do you think you’re doing? You ignorant ratty teenagers are so irresponsible; this was your lucky day and your last warning!” She roared. The boy confusedly shuffled into the first seat. It was Fred. He became the laughing stock of not just the whole bus ride but the entire month.

A few months later, Fred got off at my stop, with the usual tower of books in his hand; he stumbled over the last step and fell face forward onto the gravel. The bus driver gave him a look of disgust and drove off. “Uh, do you want me to help you with those?” I said. The rosy color returned to his cheeks as he accepted my offer. I walked Fred home with half of his heavy books in my hand. We talked, it took time as it was extremely awkward at first, but then I thought Fred was actually a really nice and outgoing person.

As time passed by me and Fred become the best of friends, we hung out daily, and not just in school but even outside of school. The years passed by and we got to know each other really well. No one bullied him anymore, and if they did, I would stand up for him. It was time for us to prepare our grad speeches, and Fred always kept his a secret from me. I asked him why at first, but then slowly became busy preparing my own.

It was graduation day, the day we start new lives and face “the real world.” I had given my speech, although mine had been really cheesy. There was one last speech left which was Fred’s. I waved him good luck as he walked to the podium. “First, I would like to thank the whole school for helping me throughout all these years. But the only true friend I made during my time here was Jake.” He smiled at me and continued, “The day Jake offered  to pick up my books and walk to my house, is the day my life got saved,” He saw the look of confusion on my face and smiled again. “If Jake hadn’t offered to pick up my books and if we hadn’t talked that afternoon, I would be dead, hanging lifelessly from a rope in my closet. Depressed and mad at myself; I was sure to kill myself no matter what, when I got home after that bus ride. I was done with all the bullying and being pushed around. I was going to commit suicide. Jake saved me that day by extending the hand of friendship. I’m happy I made the right choice.” He finished off, and a tear rolled down his left eye.

The whole room went dead silent. It all hit me. My heart shrunk, my throat was dry, I was filled with shock, loud roar of cheers and claps aroused. That day I knew, You can be kind. You can help someone. You can make a difference.

DISCLAIMER:

This was inspired by a story Mr. Parkin read to us in class.

by posted under Ishmeet, Uncategorized | 3 Comments »    
3 Comments to

“One Day I Finally Knew…”

1. November 12th, 2014 at 3:41 pm      Reply avneet Says:

Dear Ishmeet,
    I really enjoyed how you constructed the flow of your story. I also really appreciated how you included imagery throughout the piece with the use of descriptive words. I think that you played out the plot effectively and emotionally. I would’ve liked to know how Fred and the speaker’s relationship matured and strengthened over time in addition however. All in all I thought that your story was well constructed and quite enjoyable

sincerely,
    Avneet Mann

2. November 12th, 2014 at 8:19 pm      Reply deebajs Says:

Dear Ishmeet,

You did an outstanding job and should be proud of it. You made the message of standing up for someone come to life. Your choice of vocabulary fit accurately with the sentence and the theme. The only thing I want to to improve is to use more complex sentences. However, your blog is still thorough and descriptive without complex sentences. Amazing job and keep it up.
    Sincerely,
    Deebaj

3. November 13th, 2014 at 10:57 am      Reply Noor Says:

Dear Ishmeet,

I really liked how your blog was based around the growing concern of bullying. I, like you, believe that if a person does not “extend the hand of friendship”, it can lead to the death of another individual. Also, I liked how your piece kept me hooked with it’s suspenseful and charismatic demeanor, but at the same time slowly revealing it’s true motif. All in all, I think that this is a well thought out motivational piece, and I look forward to your blogs.

Sincerely,

Noor

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Blogs

BLOGGING RULES

October 2014
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

Categories

Skip to toolbar